Super Mario Bros. Z is a crossover web series created by Mark Haynes. As a reboot of the 2006 series of the same name, it features several major alterations to its writing and production. It was first announced in September 2015, with the first episode released to Patreon donators on January 5, 2016. Then 3 days later, publicly on January 8, 2016.
As of February 2019, it is highly unlikely that the reboot will be continued, mainly due to the creator's lack of interest in the series and claimed health issues. With no official news in at least a year, Haynes has appeared to have abandoned this project. Most members of the SMBZ community appear to agree with this, although nothing official has been said relating to a cancellation. As of now, the reboot is officially considered to be postponed indefinitely.
|#||Name||Description||Character Debuts||Public Release Date|
|The introduction and opening theme song to the series.||While it does reveal many of the characters, it is inapplicable to the series.||(September 4, 2015|
Fierce Battle Between Fierce Rivals
|Mario competes against Wario in the final round of a Smash tourney, but Bowser and Kamek interfere in a takeover plot of the Mushroom Kingdom. At the dire peak of Mario's defeat, a mysterious capsule with two otherworldly heroes prompts Bowser's takedown.||Metallix, Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, Rawk Hawk (cameo),Princess Peach, Toadsworth, Bowser, Kamek, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Shadow the Hedgehog.||January 8, 2016|
|2||The New Threat||Sonic and Shadow team up with Mario, Luigi and Yoshi to find the Chaos Emeralds.||Yoshi||(TBA)|
|3||Episode 3||Sonic's past is explored.|
Metallix has arrived in the Mushroom Kingdom, searching for the Chaos Emeralds and wreaking havoc. Mario enlists the help of his brother Luigi, his friend Yoshi, and the strange new warriors from Mobius, Sonic and Shadow.
Three years after the defeat of Metallix, Smithy has returned. Geno and Mallow are confirmed to be appearing.
Tentative Title Edit
Not much is known about this saga, besides that Rosalina is hinted to make an appearance.
- Alvin stated in 2013 about many changes he wanted to bring to the reboot such as replacing Mecha Sonic with Metallix, removing the Pipe Maze episode due to him deeming it filler, and removing Basilisx due to him merely hindering the progress of the plot. Because Metallix is the new character in episode 1, these changes may be valid.
- Alvin considered changing the name of the reboot to "Super Mario Bros GT", "Super Mario Bros Z Kai", or "New Super Mario Bros Z", but had decided against it due to fan-made resurrection projects of the same names already existing.
- Alvin may be debating whether to have Blaze the Cat as a character in the Smithy Saga.
Similarities to Dragon Ball Z and Other Works Edit
Episode 1 Edit
- The Goomba-killing scene has returned but with a touch-up; Metallix enters the scene in a manner not unlike the Terminator, scanning his surroundings just like the android after finally arriving in the Mushroom Kingdom.
- Several of Mario's attacks during the fight with Bowser reference other media, such as the Kamehameha-esque Fire Mario attack, a Metsu Shoryuken from Street Fighter, and the Hokuto Hyakuretsu-Ken from Fist of the North Star.